About us

previous arrow
next arrow
Slider

About Oxford Bach Choir

Oxford Bach Choir is part of a great choral tradition which goes back two centuries, having been founded in 1896 by Basil Harwood, then organist of Christ Church Cathedral, to further the music of J S Bach in Oxford.

The choir also aims to provide singers and audiences alike with a wide and exciting repertoire of choral works.

Our concerts provide an inspirational platform for promising professional young soloists who are often at the start of their international careers.

The Choir

Oxford Bach Choir gives at least three major concerts each year, performing in the magnificent Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford Town Hall and St John the Evangelist Church, Iffley Road, Oxford. It regularly performs with professional soloists and leading orchestras, including the London Mozart Players and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Membership currently numbers around 150 auditioned singers who come from all walks of life and are drawn from the city, its surrounds and its universities.

Illustrious alumni include: Dorothy L Sayers, Margaret Thatcher, Sir Adrian Boult, Sir Edward Heath and Harry Bicket.

Click here to read about the history of the choir