Oxford Bach Choir
The Oxford Bach Choir is part of a great choral tradition which extends back almost two centuries, having been founded in 1896 by Basil Harwood, then organist of Christ Church Cathedral, to further the music of J S Bach in Oxford.
As well as maintaining a close relationship with the music of Bach, the choir aims to provide singers and audiences alike with a wide and exciting repertoire of choral works, and has commissioned a number of first performances by composers from Vaughan Williams to Bob Chilcott. It provides an inspirational platform for Britain's most promising professional young soloists who are often at the start of their international careers.
Photograph of choir by Graham Chamberlain
Oxford Bach Choir gives at least four major concerts each year, performing in the magnificent Sheldonian Theatre, Oxford Town Hall and St John the Evangelist Church, Iffley Road, Oxford. It regularly performs with professional soloists and leading orchestras, including the English Chamber and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestras.
Membership currently numbers around 150 auditioned singers who come from all walks of life and are drawn from the city, its surrounds and its universities.
Illustrious alumni include: Dorothy L Sayers, Margaret Thatcher, Sir Adrian Boult, Sir Edward Heath and Harry Bicket.